Monday, March 21, 2011

BFF # 90 Sea of Love












 Sea of Love ? Just a phrase turned by a honey dripped voice? Or is the real sea of love as gritty and torn and tortured as the gravel voice of Tom Waits.  Both I think.  But it's more than that.  My sea of love? It's in my king size bed. It's in the empty spce of  my love story's low tide as I wait for the return of my husband. It's the vastness of a beach with  remote controls and magazines  and books scatttered among the six pillows , like so much flotsam washed upon the shore.


Low Tide? It's waiting for  his return from far flung places with the windburned cheeks of a an inland sea called North Dakota. It's a  sea of grass and  far away mountains and men. Across the country might as well be across the universe. The sound of his voice  brought over the miles , over the bounced off signal towers , the sea lights under the water giving false  hope that there is land and safety nearby.


High Tide? It's the roar of an airplane and the hydraulic hiss of landing gear as the tarmac greets it's steel winged vessels. Great ships of the air that carry bits of flesh to waiting outstretched arms.  It's the second in time that stretches to include all of eternity. It's the never  long enough to feel as if he is truly home. It's the run , run of the gotta go here, gotta do this gotta cram it all into this two weeks so we have enough to sustain for the next low tide.


We've done this before, and we will continue to do this again for as long as it lasts. Because this high and low tide is the one that works  for us the best.  We have had other tides. In a decade long relationship, you  will have years of low tides. You will have years of mainly high tides. Through it all, you learn to ride both tides. In this surf of love and life , the best you can hope for is enough of the good waves and someone to pick you  up out of the roilling shallows.



10 comments:

  1. Thank you Darlene. I'm a little rusty, but it's all coming back to me now ( to quote Jim Steinman) I also reposted the article about protecting yourself on writing sites. That was great information. Thank you for being my first follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you baby, Good news, in July I get to be home for three weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Eric. I missed you too. It's good to be back. There is more and better stuff yet to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you too G. And look, I wrote about you. I can't wait till July.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, I know how you feel! What's worse for me is when he's here but not here. Our current situation as pressure mounts in this cruel world we live in .
    "8 plus 4...nice way to say 12's~Hubs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin, I can't even imagine the fear you feel right now with the new sitiuation in Libya. It seems like you just get him home safe, and somewhere else starts trouble. I'm lucky enough that G is not in the military. As for that weird single mom feeling we get when they are gone, I feel ya. and that grasping for support system when thay leave? There is almost no way to get that firmlyinto place because until they are gone, there is no way to tell how much support you will need. For me there is also that unrelenting feeling and anticipation that everything is going to be better when they get back and until then , your life is on hold. Do you feel like that too?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This was GREAT! I had a long distance relationship with my BF for a few months before he moved in with me and the times we were apart seemed to be an eternity. But one thing I bet is that it makes you treasure the time you have together all that much more:) I also LOVE the version of "Sea of Love" that you posted. All in all, I LOVED this and you did a great job. Hope you will be writing more :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Red, I'm glad you loved it. I didn't know what I was writing until it was on my screen. I write a couple of times a week on various subjects. Are you still with him, or did things change once you were together full time? comment back, as I like to have a dialogue with my followers. ( you guys keep me sane) Tahnk you for following! I'll be checking you out! I am also a new Tom waits fan.... any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete