Thursday, April 28, 2011

With or Without You

     





     Every woman has been the star of her own romance, her own love triangle. We have our Romeo's and Paris', Ashleys' and Rhett's, Jacob's and Edward's.   The terrible thing? What we really want is to create a mash up of the two to create our perfect man. 


 I remember one such summer. Only  in this story,  the gentlemen have the most common names in the modern era.  I had been greedy, I had wanted and hurt them both.  One of them was a gentle giant I could take into the city, take to museums, blend into polite society without worry of his committing a faux pax. He gave my intelligence more credit than I did. I saw with him a comfortable life,  blonde children, and snow.


 The other?  A cowboy as simple and ernest as the mud on his boots and the pearl snaps on his shirts. He understood my need to breathe country air and  drive  old back roads. He understood and loved cans of beer drunk from aluminum cans in dive bars. With him I saw a future of  cotton dresses worn on porch swings, humid nights and  dark eyed babies . 


 I had discarded them for another chance at the wedding ring that had never fully left my heart. After shattering that illusion I chucked the ring , and  now I wanted my  true loves back. I didn't care  which one.I was grateful for whatever they gave me.  Funny thing was I more faithful to the both of them my last single summer than I had been when I was with them.  I had behaved badly , and they were  giving it back to me in spades.  I thought I was going to die , as I slept on my own bed of nails every night.    The pages of my  diary  bled with my shredded dignity. My hands were tied and my heart was torn.  I waited. 

 I waited longer as that summer  turned to fall, then winter.  The human heart can only take so much.  I gave up on the cowboy and settled for being friends.  Summer came round again , and my giant was leaving for  the Black Hills and a future  where I could not follow. I wondered how I would live, his ghost was everywhere .

     Salvation came in a dive,  clean of the ghosts of lover's past.  He had been reared in the city, but could not hide his country heart. Suddenly I realized he was the perfect match for me.  He combined the qualities I loved most from my former loves . He brought qualities I could not have dreamed. He folded me into his life until I could not remember my life before him.  The wait was over. No more stony eyes, no twisting thorn in my side.  I was  whole .

6 comments:

  1. I love this...she gets a happy ending and nothing like she's had before. Awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like by waiting long enough.....you found the perfect one :) And perhaps you never would have realized just how perfect he was for you if not for your two former loves. Everyone who enters into our lives for any time always leaves their mark on our hearts and lives forever. I really loved this and I am so happy that you found happiness in the end. {{floaty hearts}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written! I have a few "ones that got away" in my past...I mourned them for a while, then moved on. And now I realize if it'd worked out with them, I never would have met the man I'm married to now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I am lucky enough to have reached a state of closure/ apology with the most signifiacant of the two. I know I would have made him thoroughly miserable! Funny how the right one makes you realize that! here's to those many but wonderful frogs we kissed to get our princes!and here's to perseverance and chapstic!

    ReplyDelete