Friday, July 8, 2011

What an Atheist Believes .

 Here is a big shocker: I don’t believe in God.  I don’t believe in religion.  I also do not believe in censorship.  While the disbelief in censorship is no surprise, my disbelief in god surprises people.   The next question I get after “coming out” as an Atheist is  “What DO you believe?”




There is no short answer. There are many things I believe and hold sacred, sort of like voodoo. Each Atheist  searches their self and comes up with their own answers.  Often it is this search  that leads to their rejection  of the religion  of their  early years. This  also leads them to  the classification of their sacred symbols and holy places. Because each  one of is  us is different ,  mine may be different  than another Atheist.
I believe in the genuine  goodness of  people.  I have faith that given the chance, they will do the right thing.  I believe that we should all take care of each other. The good that  we put out comes back. I believe  together , we have the power within ourselves to do extraordinary things. I believe  in our right  to make our own choices from and decide our own paths.  I believe our power comes from within and  not from a higher power.  Because of this I believe also that we  are responsible for all  of our actions. 


 I believe  we should follow the universal  "Golden Rule : Do unto others" . Or as my friends and I like to say " Don't be an asshole".  This also lets me look at a person's behavior and decide  if I want to  forgive that person. My family are the only ones I love unconditionally.  I have no problem cutting someone out of my life.  Cross me, and you are dead to me. I give up on lost causes.



 I believe many things are sacred. My most sacred objects?  My family. My children,  G.   My home. These are my sacred cows and would sacrifice anything  for them.  Work.  I believe there is power in  working.  It does not matter the job.  It only matters that you work.  If you dig ditches, dig the best ditches possible.  There is a sacredness to serving your fellow man.

  I believe  heaven and hell are  places  of your own creation.  Your choices determine where you are at any given point. You are directly responsible for  your situation.  You are your own salvation
I believe each day  I have the opportunity to make the world a better place. I have only this day and no other.  When I am  dead,  it’s the end.  If I live on, it’s in the memories of my family and friends. Hopefully they will be able to say  I followed my own commandments and made the world a better place while I was here.

6 comments:

  1. This is awesome! Your writing doesn't sound Athiest though. I believe the same things as you do, and I'm not an Athiest.

    Great post!

    Diana Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  2. The major difference in how I live my life? The absence of a diety to worship. I am writing this series to shed some light on Atheism. Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an atheist myself, I appreciate your position and thoughts about life and how to lead it! Nicely said! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for reading. Being an atheist seems to be a dirty secret. If you say Atheist, people automatically assume you hate god, and everything relating to Christianity. I have enjoyed writing about this and hoping I am being respectful. I want people to know that we are not all militant , some just want to live and let live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting post! You mention that you believe if given a chance, people will do the right thing. I guess I'm a cynic, or just old, because from what I've seen most people—IF they could get away with it—would choose the selfish, easy way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been very lucky. I've been the poor soul pushimg my car in my bathrobe when someone stopped to help. I've had friends that helped me when my family did not, and I have bee the one to pay for the person behind me on the toll road. You just pay it forward, and it will come back to you. I do have a cynical side, but it does not come out very often.

    ReplyDelete